The Montana Art Gallery Directors Association, MAGDA, was organized in 1972 through the cooperative efforts of Montana’s art center and gallery directors. The purposes for which this corporation was formed are:
- to encourage, develop, and accomplish the public exhibition of a diverse range of the visual arts by originating and/or touring exhibitions.
- to disseminate technical information regarding gallery and museum operations.
- to provide public information and education concerning the arts.
- to develop and support public interest in, and knowledge of, the cultural resources and heritage of the State of Montana.
- to procure and provide financial support for the accomplishment and continuation of these purposes.
It is the function of a volunteer Board of Trustees and the Director to carry out the mission of MAGDA, which is the only active organization of its kind in Montana and receives not only regional but national attention as a model of public service to the arts. It is unique throughout the western states and serves as a model for other states.